Preschool Overview and Application
St. John’s Episcopal Preschool is a theme based academic program nurturing character and faith for children ages 3 – 5. Our primary mission is to provide a safe, caring, and positive environment that fosters a lifetime love of learning. Our engaging program encourages the social, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual development of the whole child. We proudly focus on teaching our students our core values of kindness, honesty, respect, and compassion – values that are integrated into the daily routines and that form a strong basis for all of our academic and social lessons throughout the year.
1. Schedule a tour of the campus
Contact the Admissions Office to arrange an initial visit to the School. During your visit, you will have the opportunity to meet the Head of School, Tom Stevens, and the Director of Admissions, Margaret Curry. You will receive a tour of the campus and facilities, as well as observe classes in session.
2. Complete the Application and Parent Questionnaire
There are several ways to obtain our Application materials:
- We are happy to mail an Admission packet to you; please call the Admissions Office at 301-774-6804 or Request Information.
- You may apply online by completing the Online Application and Online Parent Questionnaire.
- If you prefer to complete a hard copy, you may download our Admission Application and Parent Questionnaire, and forward it to the Admissions Office.
There is a non-refundable $75 application fee for each student. St. John’s accepts checks or credit card.
3. Playdate and Assessment
Applicants will attend a Preschool Playdate on a Saturday, February 10 at 9:00 – 9:45 a.m. During the visit, teachers will observe and interact with the children as they play with each other and visit various activity stations in the classroom. Parents are required to stay for this visit, which will last approximately 45 minutes. If you submit an application after February 1, an individual playdate will be arranged.
4. Submit Teacher Recommendation
A Teacher recommendation form is required for all students who are currently enrolled in a preschool. A Teacher Recommendation form is included in the Application packet or online Preschool Teacher Recommendation
5. Enrollment Decisions
Once all steps are completed, the Admissions Team will make a decision based on multiple factors, including the student’s assessment results, school visit and the availability of space in the grade that the student is applying.
Application deadline: February 1.
Applications received by February 1 will be given first consideration, with decisions to be mailed by the beginning of March.
Applications received after February 1 will be considered on a rolling basis, depending on class openings.
- Daily schedule is designed to balance teacher guided and child selected activities with active and quiet time
- We promote and provide numerous and varied opportunities for our children to explore, interact, imagine, create and problem solve
- Language Development: phonemic awareness, letter and sound recognition, receptive and expressive language skills
- Math: counting, sorting, shapes, number awareness and recognition
- Social Awareness Units of Study: All About Me, Family, The World Around Us, Holidays, Community and Community helpers
- Science Exploration: Five Senses, Animals, Plants, Weather, Butterfly Life Cycle
- Fine Motor Skills: diversified hands-on manipulatives, art based activities, pre-printing and printing activities
- Gross Motor Skills: outdoor play consisting of parachute, obstacle course, climbing and numerous teacher guided group game activities
- Technology, Library, P.E. and Religion classes weekly
1. Preschool is for students who will turn 3 years of age by September 15 of that school year.
2. Attendance options:
- 5 day full day 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday -Thursday; 9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Friday
- 5 day partial day 9:00 am -1:00 p.m. Monday – Thursday; 9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Friday
- 2-3 day full or partial days are available. Please inquire about this option when applying.
3. The maximum class size is 15 students.
4. Before and Aftercare is available. Click here for contract and rates information.
5. The school year will follow the same schedule as St. John’s K-8 calendar.
Director of Admissions
St. John’s Episcopal School
301-774-6804, ext. 160